Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Last Weekend --These Are the Days

You ever notice how life never comes at you in a nice, even pace? It's always a placid sea (or in my case, a puddle) of boredom that you can nary make a splash in, or it's a tidal wave of doom that pillages your village with more vigor than the Vikings (like all those 'v' words? Watch "V for Vendetta" where you'll veritably have a very valuable and virtuous visual...oh, I give up).

I know my blogs have conveyed nothing but a serene calm (like sipping iced lemonade on a fall afternoon), but in reality, I've been a tad overwhelmed. At some point between keeping up at work (which has been freakishly busy lately), buying a house, not going broke, planning a wedding, and keeping The Mister informed. I wish I was lying when I could say that I will tell him things, and he will immediately ignore me and promptly proceed to do the wrong thing.

Ex: (Me via text) "Dear, please call the following family members on your side and ask for their addresses. Here's the list." (submitted via text...it's written down).

Hours later, we see each other... (Him) "Darling, I called my cousin in Tennessee, and she said she already gave you her address via Facebook."

It's just so hard not to have a stroke in that fraction of a second where you have to decide whether or not to explain that he clearly did NOT read your text based on the fact that he chose to contact the ONE family member in Tennessee for whom you already have an address or throw yourself out the window.

The Mister giggled the entire time I explained. (I chose poorly.)

We are now in the process of buying a house. He's making an offer tonight. The house is fabulous. It's got everything we wanted...kitchen, garage, location (he can get to work easier), and it's a foreclosure, so there's a greater likelihood that we'll profit on the resale. I've explained a lot to The Mister lately --and he asks a lot of questions despite the fact that I'm also a first time home buyer (the fact that he asks solidifies my belief that women are much, much more resourceful than men), and he doesn't absorb a thing I say and write about escrow/earnest money or closing costs or loans or what have you. Thank God he's so dang cute. Because, I know what's going on, I'm mentally panicking because I'm convinced we're walking into a financial booby trap the likes of which James Bond couldn't escape, meanwhile The Mister's mentally packing the garage with expensive motorized vehicles.

This is why I made a PDF of the expenses we should be able to deduct from the total cost of the home, and it's also why I'm in charge of the contingency basis of the offer. All this and I get to have a job, plan a wedding, and consciously* (*is there such a thing at this point?) remain a size 2 so I don't out-fat my wedding dress.

Ooh! Speaking of that...I found a dress! Yes, to hop on to a happier train of thought, last weekend was the most nuptually productive weekend thus far (as I gleefully termed it on Facebook). The Mister and I found the house we wanted and both knew it was "right" for us within 20 seconds of viewing, I found/purchased my wedding dress for a total of $286 after taxes, I booked the photographer, and with the help of my adorable 5'2" mother, we booked the reception/rehearsal location. Ahhhhhh.... I even squeezed in time to show Mom and Dad the house.

If I did anything else last weekend, I surely don't remember. Oh, I did remove myself from the David's Bridal e-mail list. Now that's a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment