Thursday, June 17, 2010

Good Intentions Gone Wrong...it was all yellow.

"No, no, I'm serious. I want to pick something you can wear over and over again," I said to my friend with the utmost sincerity.

Having been in more weddings than I'd like to attend in my life, my friend smiled with her warm, brown eyes and said, "Thank you." She then proceeded to tell me about the overpriced heavy-satin numbers that she's purchased for countless weddings that --despite the bride's good intentions, she would never wear again.

All of the sudden I started to worry. Had I promised to much? Was my promise, the promise to deliver a bride's maid dress that was rewearable (and not just on Halloween), the bridal equivalent of pole-vaulting over Mt. Everest? Had I just done a no-no?

I would really like to have a color for my wedding, specifically a soft, buttery yellow that would be appropriate for an early spring hitching. Would my friends look good in yellow? (Pause) Yes, they would all look attractive dressed as underripe bananas.

Dilemma number two was, how could I rationalize a yellow semi-formal into being rewearable. On Earth. On a random Tuesday. A semi-formal brunch? A nice spring dinner? A Sunday visit to the botanical gardens...as a first date. You know, whatever, people can figure out their own reasons for getting dressed in the mornings.

My other promise was to keep the dress reasonably priced. If my own dress was going to be in the ball-park of $100, then it would be utterly selfish for me to have my fabulous friends spend more than that for their respective frocks.

My third promise was to have different styles of dress so each girl could flatter her figure. That promise may end up being a lie because I don't want to have five different shades of almost-matching yellow. (I could be the most untraditional bride ever and just have them all wear white, too, but I'm fairly certain there's some kind of Mafia to stop that sort of lunacy.)

So, how do I keep my promises...rewearable dresses all for under/~$100 that flatter each girls' individual figure? Hmmm....
Hmm...
Hmm...
You know, I can't think about that right now, or I'll go crazy. I'll just think about that tomorrow.

Stressful situation = averted. For now.

1 comment:

  1. When a bestie of mine married her sweetheart a couple of years ago, she told us we could pick our own dress. She had black bridesmaids dresses, however. Now, a lot of the bridal shops will have the exact same color in a variety of styles. Short or long, formal or semi formal. The thing is, they are usually over 100.
    Here's what we used.

    http://www.davidsbridal.com/Browse_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Shop-By-Color_pageNo-1?colorName=Canary

    ReplyDelete